- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 3 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch coins
- 1 cup fresh snow peas, stemmed
- 1 cup frozen artichokes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green scallion tops (snipping with scissors works well)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a large, deep saute pan over medium-high heat. Carefully add pearl onions; saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. (Can be prepared to this point a couple of hours ahead.)
- Add asparagus, carrots, snow peas, artichokes, salt and 1/2 cup water to pan. Return to high heat; cover and cook until vegetables start to steam. Steam, covered, until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add peas; continue to steam until vegetables are just tender, about 1 minute longer. Stir in scallion tops, and season with pepper and more salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
If you are on a very soft diet, you may want to let the veggies steam longer, or substitute others that you feel may be easier to eat. You could even mash the carrots so that you don’t have to chew much at all.